We’re back from our two big events and eager to share.
First up is our big,
COSTUME MAKERS BALL
fabric by me, J. Wecker Frisch
from Riley Blake Designs
So many of you have asked if this fun fall project was a pattern so, we decided to share the easy process here!
I pretty much made this up as I went along and it was truly so easy. I’m still learning on the sewing front so, if you see anything that can be improved on, I’m interested to hear from you. Of course we love the images on the patch panel and they were the perfect sizes for the pages and pockets to hold whatever spooky items we found around the studio. Choose anything you like in your stash of old photos, tags, charms and trims to personalize your scary book.
What you’ll need, beginning with Costume Makers Ball fabric:
• One – Patch Panel for pages and pockets.
• One repeat – Border Stripe for a few fun tags to slip inside and attach.
• Fat quarter – Black Text for cover.
• 1/2 yard – Jac O Lantern Balloons on Black for inside of cover plus one page background.
• Fat eighth – Measure Tape Stripe Blk n Wt for one page.
• 1/2 yard – Riley Blake Linen in Natural for inside pages.
• Quilt batting, 1/2 to 3/4 yards based on preference. We used a light weight fusible behind page patches and cover.
• A medium weight Interfacing for a stiff cover cut to 17.5″ x 17.5″
• Measuring tape ribbon, buttons, decorative string, one cargo tag, old key & vintage notions or game cards, etc.
• Fabric only kits available exclusively at greatjoystudio.com/shop/
Pictures worth a thousand words?
Pages six & seven with quilted tags made using the CMB border stripe.
Sandwich each of the individual cover and (18″ square) page layers as you like. I chose batting between my cover fabrics and under each of the fabric patches. I then used a variety of sketchy stitches around each the page edges to create decorative borders and attach to the linen pieces. Using your skill level and imagination there are no limits to what you will create with these fantastic fabrics! Again, my stitching experience is short and some of these are my first attempts but I was pleased with the results. So remember, have fun, no rules, anything goes and you can’t make a mistake.
Here are the the page layouts:
Inside front cover & page 1
Pages 2 & 3
Pages 4 & 5
Pages 6 and 7 are pictured at top of post and are holding the border stripe kid tags.
Page 8 and inside back cover.
Not pictured is the outside cover! We used the CMB black allover text.
Complete Scary Book fabric kit available on the Shop page.
More Scary Book photos and fun projects on IG @jweckerfrisch and FB Joy Studio
Please share your scary book eye candy with us!!